Play by Play Data for 2013 (though game 12) can be found here.
The database linked below is the beginning of a project that I hope Clemson fans will come to appreciate in time. By clicking the link you will be taken to an Excel spreadsheet of every Clemson offensive play for the 2011 and 2012 seasons. If you know Excel, and even if you don’t, you will be able to view, sort, select and slice and dice the data to find nearly any information you want. Want to know how often Sammy Watkins is targeted on 3rd downs? Want to know what percentage of plays Clemson passes on when down by 10 or more? What are the trends for the Tigers on third and 4 in their own territory? You can find out all of these and more by using this database.
In the future I hope to add the defensive play-by-play and perhaps basketball and baseball data, too (as time permits).
A couple of notes on this project:
- I typically use data from www.clemsontigers.com to populate the spreadsheet. However, in certain instances the data there is incorrect (i.e. “R. Smith” was not the intended target on 3rd and 3 in Clemson’s first drive against N.C. State, Adam Humphries was) and I review the game to determine the correct info, if possible.
- There have been occasions when my data doesn’t equal the “official stats” from www.clemsontigers.com. Though I’m really not sure why this occurs, it appears to be a simple addition error. Just know that I take painstaking effort to ensure that the data here is as close to “official” as possible and make multiple verifications of the data.
- If you have questions about the data (for instance there are three play types: Pass, Called Pass and Rush and total rushing yards include both rushes and called passes (sacks)) please contact me for clarification – don’t assume the data is incorrect.
- If you notice anything that appears incorrect or out-of-place, please let me know at email@example.com. Your help is much appreciated.
- If you have suggestions for improvements I’m all ears, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I’ve taken on this project to provide Clemson fans with data in a way that is useful and can be easily manipulated and sorted and to enable Clemson fans (or anyone else) to become more knowledgeable in discussion of the Tigers offense. All I ask is that if you use this spreadsheet to obtain data and post the results on a web site or on your own site or blog (or even in an email to your Gamecock buddy) that you provide a link to this page as the source of the data.
|01/09/2013||2012 Clemson Football Offensive Play-by-Play||Click Here||Through Game 13|
|01/09/2012||Clemson Football Offensive Play-by-Play (2011)||Click Here||Through Game 14|
|01/10/2012||Clemson Football Defensive Play-by-Play (2011)||Click Here||Through Game 14|